One Earth

Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Donald Trump: Refreshing, New, and Strong

I wasn't  going to do it.

I wasn't going to add to the conversation, fuel the fire, or even acknowledge the absurdity that is Mr. Donald Trump.

And I probably wouldn't have had it not been for the strange and confusing things that I listen to every day.  No, I am not talking about the strange and confusing things that Mr. Trump says, though there are many and I certainly could.  I'm referring to the things I hear from those who support, or at least agree with, his ideas.

They say he is "refreshing" and "new."  He is unlike the other politicians who say everything but do nothing.  That even if what he says he will do once elected President is outrageous, and even if he stretches the truth just a little, at least he will do something.  They argue, "At least he won't make America weak."

Donald Trump: Refreshing, new, and strong?


There is nothing refreshing about fear mongering, there is nothing new about racism, and there is nothing strong about turning our backs on people who need help.

Whether it is something big like deporting millions of immigrants or closing the borders to people from a different religion, or something seemingly small like telling a someone that they do not belong as he did to the Telemundo reporter, his ideas and his rhetoric are actually old.  I'm sure they seemed refreshing as well at a time when fear was as prevalent as it is now, but today we consider them villainous and even hateful.  Or we did before Donald Trump decided he wanted to be the President.

In perilous times we need to be vigilant and guarded, but we can never let our fear be greater that our compassion.  We have come too far.

No comments:

Post a Comment